Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pinay and Wikipedia

So I come out clean...I have been writing and editing in  Wikipedia, the largest online encyclopedia since 2006.  Under another wikipedia username, the first article I tried to edit was that of Lindsay Lohan who at that time, and up to now, was/is very controversial.  I also fought vandals to her page. Then, I also edited the articles on Monique Coleman and other Americans and many more.

After several countless articles, I said what the heck? Why am I writing all these articles in the US?  Why shouldn't I try writing on relevant topics, especially on Bohol.  Hence, the birth of Pinay, who wrote relentlessly on many topics in Bohol and beyond.  Many of the articles are in the Bohol Portal in wikipedia, which is the only province in the Philippines now having its own Portal! It was created in collaboration with other wikipedia editors all over the world.

The first article written was the on Holy Name University which was immediately deleted for copyright infringement as I did not have the permission to write about it. After several discussions with the wikipdia administrator, the article was back online. It is by far, the most comprehensive article of all SVD schools in the whole Philippines.  I started to write stubs (start up articles of a few lines) on all SVD schools in the Philippines, as well as in Bohol. Next up was the article on Alburquerque, Bohol which is comprehensive.

The rest of the articles are contained in the the Bohol Portal and in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pinay06/Contributions.  Some of the articles made it to the Did you know that? or DYK of the English Wikipedia Main Page for a day for new articles. Some of the articles have also become Good Articles.

Other than the English Wikipedia, I also contribute to the Cebuano and Chavacano wikipedias. In addition, I became member of  Wikimedia Philippines, a community and SEC registered organization of editors and writers of wikipedia based in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment